THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 5, 2007

One of the reasons I love kids so much

As many of you know, kids say the funniest things. Let me set the stage for you. I work with 5th and 6th grade kids, mostly boys. You do something out of the ordinary and they aren't sure what to think and often can't quite tell what is different. I love surprising them with something new. Many times it's wearing my glasses or wearing makeup that they notice. What I love most is how they tell you what is different.

For example...

Today I walked in and had cut my bangs over the weekend. Up to this point the kids have only seen me with long bangs and usually pulled back in either a clip or in a pony tail. The kids notice right away that something is different. A few mentioned it (the ones who knew what was different), and a few just stared trying to figure it out.

The first student to mention it said "Nice hair cut." then laughed with a few of the other boys. The second to say anything had been with the first but waited a little to say anything. When he finally spoke it was to tell me I was weird. I quickly jumped at the chance to see what else he would say. I mentioned that I had to be weird to work with kids but wanted to know what he meant. His choice of words, "You look weird." When asked what made me look weird, he responded, "You're curly." It made me laugh.

Yes, I had curled my bangs and took a step toward being girly.

Another student just kept staring at me until we were about half way through class. I finally mentioned that he could quit staring because there was something different. Before I could say anything about what was different a fellow classmate blurted out that it was because "She got a new do, duh!"

Different time, same class, and same classmates...student 1 is turned around looking at girl behind him. When I ask why he is turned around instead of working on his own work student 2 blurts out, "Maybe he finds her attractive." Whole class starts laughing and student 1 quickly faces forward. I held my laughter and quickly prompted student 2 that it wasn't appropriate. Mean while the supervising teacher is at the back of the room laughing making it hard for me to continue with our lesson. Oh, the joys of kids and the things they say.

0 comments: